Day 56 - 4th June, Horton to Hawes - 14.4 miles

The taxi back from Ingleton dropped me at The Crown in Horton to rejoin the Pennine Way....and Hey! The sun is shining!!!
The track led straight out of the pub car park and on to an old pack house route that led up and up on to Cam Fell.

With the sun out, that bloke has turned up again! 
The incline is relentless...
The Cam High Road is the highest Roman Road in Britain and on a 1720 map was described 'The Devil's Causeway'. 
Fortunately, in the sunshine the Devil didn't appear but the headwind was hellishlly tiring and cold.
Just under Dodd Fell Hill at 1900 feet, the track changed direction but the wind still seemed to be on the nose.
As soon as I could find some shelter from the wind I stopped for a quick picnic lunch.
As I got going again, I met up with a family of four who'd been walking at a similar pace to me. I fell into conversation with Richard as we walked the long descent from Cam Road.

The route into Hawes passes the Wednsleydale Cheese Creamery - home of 'Wallace and Grommit's favourite snack'!!

Nigel and Duncan,  friends since school days in Co. Durham met up again when by chance they and their respective families moved to Harrogate. For the last ten years they've met for a week to walk the long distance trails. There was a festival atmosphere in the town with the pubs and cafes crowded out with walkers and bikers enjoying the afternoon sun. They'd been lucky to find a table for a pint or two at The Crown, so I joined them for another! 

Then off for a quick circuit of the town and into the brilliant Cunningham's to buy some new boot laces.

After supper I bumped in to Richard who I'd met earlier and went back to the Board Inn for a beer.
Richard and his family are all keen walkers and have been walking sections of the Pennine Way when work commitments allow. They've just had the last three days to walk from Ickornshaw to Hawes and will be returning home tomorrow by a well planned route involving all forms of public transport. Richard and his wife have just bought a new house on the edge of Exmoor and are looking forward to enjoying some Southern moorland walking.
I havn't met many judges but it was amazing that Richard while working on the Chester circuit had worked with Mike o'Donaghue with whom I'd sailed at the RWYC when Mike kept his boat in Caernarfon - it keeps on being a small world.

Apparently,  over the last few days, Richard and family have been working on establishing a tradition, of stopping during the final descent and finding a sheltered spot to set up their camping stove to brew-up for afternoon tea and cakes.
If only I'd known, I'd have tarried longer on the ascents to make sure I caught up just as the muffins were being toasted!!

Total distance walked so far = 724.4 miles
Total ascent so far 87 457 feet

If you'd like to leave a comment, correct me on any detail or just nudge, it'd be great to hear from you. If initially it comes up as Anonymous, please just add your name at the bottom so I can see who it's from.

email: david.LL.thomas@gmail.com
mob: 07850109100

If you'd like to contribute to any or all of the great charities I'm supporting, here are the relevant links.

- Just Wheels UK  - this is a small charity set up to provide wheelchairs in a rural community in Tanzania. It does this through funding training, education and the local fabrication and servicing of bespoke wheelchairs. My nephew uses a wheelchair and as he grows I can see the life changing freedoms that proper wheelchairs can bring to both users and their families.- 

- Parkinsons UK   - My dad had Parkinsons in his latter years and the research work this charity funds and the support it provides to patients and their families is invaluable. - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/david-thomas215


- RNLI   - these are the brave guys who selflessly head out to sea to help others. I volunteer at Littlehampton RNLI shop and often meet families of those who’ve had first hand experience of their loved ones being saved from the sea. Having sailed for years I can say thankfully we’ve never had to call on the RNLI's services but it’s amazing what it does to know they are there 

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/david-thomas216



Comments

  1. I remember you setting sail in thick mist from Caernarfon harbour, with Mike o'Donoghue and crew, bound for Ireland..how long ago was that!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Last few days

Day 99 - Golspie to Helmsdale - 18.6 miles

Day 37 - Cross Foxes to Penmaenpool - 11.4 miles