Day 38 - Penmaenpool to Llanbedr - 21.4 miles

.

Compared with yesterday, the start of today's walk was easy along the long disused railway track to Dovey Junction.
-  ia quiet, level easy walking and cycle route
I caught up Hilary and Red - her beautiful  "Vizslador" a Vizsla/ Labrador cross
Hilary works with Ourea Events organising 
Ultra running events including Dragons Back, Great Lakeland 2 day and Cape Wrath race.
Hilary had worked for the YHA, originally at at Pen y pass, and then at Kings so she knows the mountains well
Her husband works with the local Mountain rescue teams and thought I'd made the right decision to abort yesterday.
Of course, this morning the mountain was looking totally benign and cloud free.

You have to marvel at the amount of work that went in to construction of the embankments along this 5 mile stretch -.
 first the design but then the care with which each stone was selected and placed

By the time I reached Dovey Junction, my sis TT and Jerry had already walked across the railway bridge to meet me so that we could walk back together. As always, it was lovely to meet up.
Ready for the walk back....
From the bridge you get postcard views up the Mawddach estuary.

On the walk into Barmoth, I saw my cousin Karen (nee Jeffs).
She was on the roof terrace of what had always been a local landmark , her dad's business, The Birmingham Garage now a cycle hire company run by her daughter.

Karen's father Ken Jeffs had been coxswain of the Barmouth lifeboat for years. With her nephew now joining the crew, Karen was proud that the tradition of her family link with the RNLI will be maintained.

On the was to the seadront, we passed the old jailhouse  - the photo opportunity was far too tempting.
I called in to the RNLI lifeboat station shop and met volunteers Anita and her daughter Tina. 
We had a brief chat about palindromic names!
Anita had been volunteer for years at Saundersfoot so when they moved to Barmouth, Anita and her husband both  volunteered again. He's just had chemo treatment so Tina was standing in while he's away. 

TT, Jerry and I had a quick lunch overlooking the harbour at Davy Jones' Locker where Jerry had some great suggestions for my afternoon route.

With heavy  rain forecast for the afternoon, I set off through town
Barmouth humour, Will they ever fix that sign....?

 The Ardudwy Way is well signposted and  leads out of town up the hill behind St John's church
and zig zags steeply
Very soon I was out of sight of the town and bumped in to Hazel and Bob from Chorley. A fun couple, they'd had an enjoyable circular walk and using one of the Kittiwake walking guide books.
They are keen walkers and had yesterday taken the ferry to walk on the south side of the estuary. We had a brief chat comparing the qualities of American Dockside American IPA with - in my view the far superior Butty Bach - I recomended that bara brith would probably go well with either. They set off downhill to put it to the test.
I was envious that they'd get back down before the rain which got progressively heavier for the afternoon. Despite the rain, the views from the track, all the way are fantastic.
After a couple of hours of heavy wind blown rain, it was getting in to my pockets and into the terminals of my phone. All charge was lost along with access to my electronic maps. Pah!!
I deduced my way to Bwlch y Rhiwgyr and then followed the drovers path down towards Dyffryn.
Brainwave!! With a brief detour I walked passed the cromlech at Pont Fadog
 to Jerry's place at Gors y Gedol and knocked on the door - probably looking abominable. Over a cup of hot tea, I used TT's hair dryer on the phone terminals and was soon able to recharge the phone sufficiently for the last 3 mile trudge across marshes and flooded tussocks of marram to Bron y Foel Isaf - looking rather ghostly 
and then via Tyddyn Llidiart,  down to Llanbedr. As the rain gradually stopped.
The sun set was dramatic under the low cloud.
Before checking in to Ty Mawr, I had a quick look at Bronallt
 before calling in at the churchyard.
Mum and Dad would have been pleased but not before calling me various things for coming over the top in that weather.
Ah well! Fortunately, god made us waterproof!!

The barman offered to put my boots (and socks - brave man!) in the boiler room overnight.

Thank goodness for waterproof liners or else the whole lot would be in the boiler room!!

Total distance walked so far = 479.1 miles
Total ascent so far = 60 136 feet

It looks like I need to somehow adjust settings to enable comments to be left.  If you're having any  difficulty please persist or don't hesitate to send me a text or email.

email: David.LL.thomas@gmail.com
mob: 07850109100

If you're tempted to contribute to any or all of the great charities I'm supporting, here are the relevant links.

Parkinsons UK   - My dad had Parkinsons in his latter years and the research work this charity funds and the support it provides to patients and their families is invaluable. - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/david-thomas215

Just Wheels UK  - this is a small charity set up to provide wheelchairs in a rural community in Tanzania. It does this through funding training, education and the local fabrication and servicing of bespoke wheelchairs. My nephew uses a wheelchair and as he grows I can see the life changing freedoms that proper wheelchairs can bring to both users and their families.- 

- RNLI   - these are the brave guys who selflessly head out to sea to help others. I volunteer at Littlehampton RNLI shop and often meet families of those who’ve had first hand experience of their loved ones being saved from the sea. Having sailed for years I can say thankfully we’ve never had to call on the RNLI's services but it’s amazing what it does to know they are there 

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/david-thomas216


Comments

  1. Its great to you enjoying old familiar surroundings. Do most locals speak Welsh there?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Last few days

Day 106 - Keiss to John o'Groats - 14.5 miles

Day 109 - Orkney