Day 37 - Cross Foxes to Penmaenpool - 11.4 miles

I wanted to walk over Cadair Idris but knew it'd be totally dependent on the weather. Poor visibility or low cloud at the summit would be disorientating and not for me. It had rained heavily throughout the night and the cloud forecast was that it would clear for a short period in the middle of the day.
I thought I'd try to get closer to have a look and get a feel for the conditions. The rain had eased but paths were waterlogged. The summit was visible for a few minutes then it would disappear again in cloud. 
I walked a couple of miles to join the Cambrian Way - a recognised route and walked up Mynydd Gwerngraig to 1400 ft from here I was going have a look and decide. Stupidly, I'd thought I'd take a shortcut and hoofed my way across boggy moorland and leg breaking tussocks before I managed to get back on to the route. What a numpty!! 
The formal path then follows a ridge before rising sharply to the first summit on the ridge at 2200 ft. From there the route rises again eventually to almost 2900 ft.

I hadn't seen anyone else all morning and though I'd told Sally last night that I'd look at the weather forecast and then decide,  I'd stupidly not even told the hotel that I was going.
By now, I'd started climbing more steeply and at just over 1650 feet I could see down the Tal y Llyn valley that another band of rain was approaching.  As it came in, it turned out to be hail which for a few minutes rattled and bounced off my rain jacket.

The screed underfoot was becoming steeper and slippery. Walking alone and with no phone coverage, it was time for a rethink and eventually sense prevailed.
I turned back down the hill.
After carefully descending for about 20 mins - it was much more difficult going down than up - I could make out a group sitting on the path below me. As I got closer I noticed a tent.

The Tal y Llyn valley is a favourite place for plane spotting - military planes regularly use this for training - the area known as part of the Mach loop. The group with a tent and a large Union Jack were plane spotters. I joined Tim from a social media group Avgeek Assemble who was here for the week, whatever the weather,
and 
Paul, father and son, Kevin and Luke and Angus. 
They'd not met before, all travelled independently from all parts of the UK, and then walked up to this vantage point. 
More b***** rain! 

I'd seen two training planes fly through earlier in the morning and then as if it had been planned, 
a large transporter plane headed towards us before  
banking sharply and heading down towards Tal y Llyn. Amazing.

I followed the track downwards to level off at about 1000 ft and looped round for Bwlch Coch which at 1200ft took me safely over into the Dolgellau valley.
The sheep shearer's shelter. The rosettes show he's getting better and better. He got a 2nd place in Llanuwchlyn and 1st place in Rhydymain!! It's the Olympics next!

While standing in the rain in the town square
 I recognised Dafi. He and I had worked
together for my first summer job in Dolgellau in 1974. We took shelter in his car while he very phoned around to arrange for me to catch up with a few other contacts still living in the area.

To stock up on the faithfull blister plasters, I popped in to the pharmacy and met Ian and Angela.
We had a brief chat about the insufficiently reported but not uncommon abuse of front line and essential workers - I'd witnessed some earlier on the walk. While talking we discovered that Angela is sister in law to Jerry who I'd be meeting tomorrow. It's a small world! 

While looking around some old haunts I met Pete. We had a great chat. Pete's always been a great walker in the UK and has experience of all the high passes in the Alps. Still going strong!
From Dolgellau, I'd plotted a route to the hotel via woodland above the town but with a combination of the rain starting again,  sloppy map reading, overgrown paths and very wet grass, I eventually arrived thoroughly drenched.
Over supper I got talking to Karen and Rebecca about amongst all things,  bereavement, working for BA, brand loyalties , cars with low suspension - a wide ranging conversation! Very enjoyable. Their eight year old Staffie was very well behaved but developed a probably unhealthy interest in my feet. I think I probably need to soak them for longer!!! 

 Dafi had put me back in touch with my old boss Gwyn. It was through him and the occasional lunch at the George III that I was introduced to the delights of single malts. I told him I'd raise a glass.
 So here's to you Gwyn! 

Penmaenpool, Beautiful.

Total distance walked so far = 457.7 miles
Total ascent so far = 58 207 feet

It looks like I need to somehow adjust settings to enable comments to be left.  If you're having any  difficulty please persist or don't hesitate to send me a text or email.

email: David.LL.thomas@gmail.com
mob: 07850109100

If you're tempted to contribute to any or all of the great charities I'm supporting, here are the relevant links.

Parkinsons UK   - My dad had Parkinsons in his latter years and the research work this charity funds and the support it provides to patients and their families is invaluable. - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/david-thomas215

Just Wheels UK  - this is a small charity set up to provide wheelchairs in a rural community in Tanzania. It does this through funding training, education and the local fabrication and servicing of bespoke wheelchairs. My nephew uses a wheelchair and as he grows I can see the life changing freedoms that proper wheelchairs can bring to both users and their families.- 

- RNLI   - these are the brave guys who selflessly head out to sea to help others. I volunteer at Littlehampton RNLI shop and often meet families of those who’ve had first hand experience of their loved ones being saved from the sea. Having sailed for years I can say thankfully we’ve never had to call on the RNLI's services but it’s amazing what it does to know they are there 

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/david-thomas216


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last few days

Day 99 - Golspie to Helmsdale - 18.6 miles